- Date Posted Sep 19, 2022
- Location Portland, USA
- Contact email@example.com
- Term Full Time
SAXX Underwear Co. is looking for a Materials Developer to join the team based at our Portland, Oregon office location. This is your opportunity to be part of a globally growing brand in a dynamic work environment. SAXX was ranked #1 men’s boxer brief brand in the USA and listed as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators 2022!
THE MATERIALS DEVELOPER WILL….
Assist the Materials Development Director with the seasonal development of fabrics and trims that are designed into our premium men’s underwear and apparel products. This role provides a unique hands-on experience to learn and build your materials expertise.
In this role you will work closely with the SAXX design, merchandising, product development, sourcing, and quality assurance teams to source, develop, and commercialize fabrics and trims through our global supply partners.
The SAXX Materials Development team drives sustainable innovation, and delivers the ultimate in men’s comfort and performance material solutions that delight our customers.
- Assist SAXX Materials Development Director with research, development, testing, and approval of apparel fabrics and trims according to product requirements, and seasonal calendar.
- Translate product design briefs into material development requirements based on seasonal product line plan.
- Provide technical materials expertise to address issues related to new and existing materials and products.
- Track and share material development project progress with key stake holders. Include price, minimums, lead time, and performance objectives.
- Create and maintain seasonal material development tools including submit library, swatch cards, material profiles, and presentation materials.
- Document all material specifications, price, minimums, and lead time in Centric PLM system. Generate materials reports as needed.
- Coordinate with SAXX Quality Manager to set seasonal Bulk material performance and RSL testing plan, review results, and manage entry of test results into test database.
- Coordinate with Design and Product Development to Wear Test new fabrics and trims, and evaluate results.
- Maintain Materials Library.
- Develop and maintain relationships with materials suppliers. Qualify new suppliers as needed.
- Stay informed about technical advances in the apparel textile industry. Attend relevant industry trade shows and travel to mills.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree in Textile Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry, Polymer Science or equivalent.
- Experience – Minimum 2 years of proven materials (fabrics & trims) development experience.
- Experience with ASTM, AATCC, ISO material test standards and testing.
- Experience with RSL, Prop 65, EU REACH, Blue Sign, OEKO-TEX compliance standards
- High attention to detail, ultra-organized, ability to define and manage to timelines.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, facilitating discussions with Design, Merchandising, Product Development, Sourcing, Production, Quality Assurance, and suppliers.
- Experience with material specification and test data management.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office tools, PLM, and online databases.
- Highly curious with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read and interpret technical materials specifications and testing standards.
- Strong calendar and project management skills.
- Ability to travel internationally.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At SAXX we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace community, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Why WE THINK YOU’LL LOVE WORKING WITH US
- We offer equitable salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage to support your wellbeing.
- Get additional health care support through a virtual health care platform and an Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Have your birthday off to celebrate in style.
- Four paid days off dedicated for you to volunteer in your community.
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and empowered people focused on building and innovating.
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals.
- Join a fast-growing company and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Hang out with the cute and cuddly dogs at our headquarters and our Portland office.
- During the COVID 19 pandemic, we learned the majority of our roles are remote-friendly. Although there may be times where it is required or more effective to be in office for certain meetings or tasks. As the pandemic evolves, we will continue to adjust our working arrangements as necessary.
Please forward your resume and quote Materials Developer in the subject line. No phone calls please. We appreciate your interest in the role, however; only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in a career with SAXX.
Please keep tabs on your junk/spam folders. Our emails may end up there and we want to make sure we have the opportunity to connect with you!